With cold weather comes dry skin. There are so many body scrubs and exfoliating options that deciding what to use on your skin can be completely overwhelming and costly. Why not concoct your own exfoliating scrub with an ingredient you probably already have in your cabinet: coffee? The therapeutic benefits of coffee are renowned in the natural health and beauty industry. In addition to being a natural exfoliant, coffee also has anti-inflammatory properties and is known to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
DIY Exfoliating Coffee Scrub Recipe
- 1 cup coffee grounds
- ¼ cup coconut oil (grapeseed or avocado oil will also work well)
- 3-4 tablespoons sea salt (depending on how abrasive you like it—I go easy on the salt)
- 10 drops each lemon and orange essential oil
- Simply mix all ingredients together in a bowl until a gritty, oily scrub is formed. If your coconut oil is solid, you will need to melt it in the microwave or in a bain marie before using.
- Store the scrub in a glass jar for up to 3 months.
- It honestly is that easy to make!
*If you don’t have essential oils or if they irritate your skin, you can also use a teaspoon of vanilla extract and/or honey to your scrub. Both smell great and are also good for your skin.