Like a lot of moms, I started feeding my kids brown rice cereal when they were 6 months old. I never even thought about making it homemade. The baby food companies perform some of their most impressive marketing when it comes to this tried and true first food, because while I bought it by the boxful, it never occurred to me just how easy it would be to make it on my own. I don’t know why I never thought of it before, because all you need is a blender and brown rice. It truly is THE easiest thing you can make your baby.
Packed with iron, magnesium and other vitamins and minerals, brown rice cereal makes a perfect first food. No more nutritionally stripped white rice cereal or spending way too much money on pretty packaging and advertising. Make it on your own and you’ll have a simple food that your baby will love!
- 1/2 cup short grain brown rice (I like to use organic brown rice)
Use the milling blade to blend the brown rice for 45 seconds-1 minute or until finely ground.
* At this point you can store the rice powder in a sealed container in the refrigerator or in a cool dark place.
To make 1 serving for a 4-6 month old baby:
- Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil and sprinkle in 2 tbsp of the ground brown rice.
- Whisk continuously for 30 seconds and then occasionally for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Serve as is or with one of the additions below.
Accompaniments: Breast Milk, Formula, Molasses, Banana, mashed Rice or Almond Milk, Apple Sauce, Baby Food Puree