Some people dread cooking beans because they think there are too many steps in the preparation. That’s where lentils come in handy. When mixed with a grain they become a complete protein and lentils are packed with iron, important for the creation of white blood cells and antibodies. The vitamin C from the tomatoes aid in the absorption of iron.
Spiced Lentil Puree
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Good for ages 9-12 months
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 1/2 cup cauliflower
- Heat oil in a 2 quart saucepan and sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add brown rice, lentils, cumin and curry powder. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until soft.
- Add tomatoes and cauliflower, cover, and simmer an additional 10 more minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then carefully transfer to the Baby Bullet and puree until smooth.